Crime Reporting and Alert from Hamilton Police Service


There has been a rash of mischief and vandalism in the Westdale neighbourhood, specifically along Dromore Crescent, Marion, and near Churchill Park.  Police patrols have been increased to try and catch the perpetrators.

The public is being asked to report any vandalism, no matter how minor or one-off it may seem (in all neighbourhoods). Police need to know where incidents are happening. If you see or hear something, call 911. If you discover the damage later, please report it to the non-emergency police number, 905-546-4925, or online: You can also reach her by e-mail at

Crime Reporting - from the Hamilton Police Service

he mission of the Hamilton Police Service is to serve and protect in partnership with our communities. To help accomplish this, the Hamilton Police Service wants you to report crime.


All requests requiring immediate attention must be directed to: 911(emergency) or (905) 546-4925 (switchboard - non-emergency). Call 9-1-1 for medical, fire and police emergencies including crimes in progress. An emergency is any situation where people’s safety or property is immediately at risk.  It is important that you only call 9-1-1 in emergency situations as using 911 for non-emergency situations limits access to the system.

Mobile Response: A mobile response will be provided for:

  • Crimes in progress (against persons and property);
  • Incidents where people’s safety is at risk;
  • Incidents where suspects are at the scene or in the immediate area;
  • Incidents where there is significant physical evidence to be gathered;

Telephone Reporting

HPS has a Call Management Branch (CMB) that takes reports over the telephone. Certain non-emergency incidents have been identified that the report can be taken by telephone. The Communications Call Taker will take your name, address and phone number and send it to the CMB. Someone from the CMB will telephone you back to take the report.

  • A report does not exist until you talk to someone from the CMB;
  • You must have a return phone number available for the CMB to call you back;
  • Try to keep your phone line clear so the CMB can reach you;


Some non-urgent reports can’t be taken by telephone. For these reports the Communications Call Taker will direct you to attend the closest police station for the report. Examples include:

  • lost or stolen drugs,
  • cheques or passports and
  • fraud reports.

Online Reporting

The Hamilton Police Service now supports Online Reporting for the following incidents :

  • Mischief to Property Under $5,000
  • Mischief to Vehicle Under $5,000
  • Theft under $5,000
  • Theft from Vehicle under $5,000
  • Lost Property

Incidents involving suspects cannot be reported online.