The Hamilton Fire Department would like to remind all citizens about some important steps to prevent kitchen fires and action to take if you do have a kitchen fire:
- Pay attention when cooking especially if you are using oil or high temperatures. If you must leave for any reason, turn off the stove.
- Wear tight-fitting or rolled up sleeves when using the stove. Loose, dangling clothing can easily catch fire.
- Keep a proper fitting lid near the stove. If a pot catches fire, slide the lid over the pot and turn off the stove. Never use water to extinguish a fire involving oil or grease.
- Never attempt to move a burning pot.
- Keep a close eye on anyone in your household who is drinking and attempts to cook.
For more information on fire safety, contact our Fire Prevention Division at 905 546-2424 Ext. 1380, weekdays between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. or visit our web-site at www.hamilton.ca/fire.