Saturday, August 26, 2017
Royal Botantical Gardens - Princess Point
199 Longwood Rd N
Hamilton, ON L8S 3W9
Join RBG biologists and staff to and celebrate the Great Lakes’ first two-way Fishway and carp barrier. Since 1997, the Fishway has been keeping invasive non-native carp out of Cootes Paradise while maintaining the flow of water and populations of native aquatic species. Join in the festivities as we celebrate this unique restoration project’s 20th anniversary!
This is a free event but you must register to attend.
- Guided Marsh Walk n’ Talk - Join an Interpreter to hear all about Cootes Paradise Marsh restoration projects, ecological successes, and current efforts underway.
- Self-Guided RestoreFacts - Follow the RestoreFacts signs around the Princess Point Loop to learn about the many restoration projects and their current status at Cootes Paradise Marsh.
Meet the Researcher - Meet the scientists behind the Fishway operation and hear their fish-tales from over the years.
Fishway lifts will be conducted every 30 minutes.
- Discover the Fishway - Explore the slippery and finned friends that come through our grates into Cootes Paradise Marsh.
- Turtles on the Move - Did you know seven of Ontario’s eight turtle species are at risk?! Come learn how RBG is working hard to protect the turtles that call RBG home.
- Micro-Safari - We all know we can’t live without water, but what is life like inside of a drop of water? Explore the tiny creatures that live in the water and in the important role they play!
- Food and Beverage - Grab some delicious food from these food trucks. Gorilla Cheese, King Cone and Green Machine!
- Kids Zone - There is so much fun stuff to do in the Kids Zone! Try out some fun games and make your own craft!