The City of Hamilton is undertaking a design competition to select a conceptual design for the Pier 8 Promenade Park, which will be an approximately 30 metre wide park along the north and east edges of Pier 8. Six design teams have created design proposals for Pier 8 Promenade Park that reflect the local community’s vision and design objectives for the park, and included certain program elements.
Deadline: You will have until September 10, 2017 to provide your comments.
Who selects the winning design? A volunteer jury of experts will select the winning design based on design excellence, innovation, response to the vision and goals for the park, and community opinions. The winning design will be announced in late September.
How to comment (online and in-person)
Members of the public are invited to review the design concepts and provide comment on how well the designs incorporated the park vision, design objectives and program elements. Proposals will be available for public viewing and comment from August 25 until September 10. The proposals and comment forms will be available online here and in person at the following locations:
Lister Block (28 James St. N)
- Regular display hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Viewing hours extended until 11:00 p.m. September 8 and 9 during Supercrawl
- City of Hamilton staff will be onsite to answer questions from the public during Supercrawl on September 8 (6:00 – 9:00 p.m.); Saturday, September 9 (noon – 9:00 p.m.)
Williams Fresh Café (47 Discovery Dr.)
- Regular display hours: 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. daily
- City of Hamilton staff will be on site to answer questions from the public on Friday, August 25 (6:00 to 8:00 p.m.); Saturday, August 26 (11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.; 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.); Saturday, September 2 (11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.).
Evergreen Hamilton (294 James St. N)
- Regular display hours: Thursdays 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Open by request and during public events (see events calendar)
- Supercrawl hours: Friday, September 8 (6:00 to 10:00 p.m.); Saturday, September 9 (noon to 8:00 p.m.); Sunday, September 12 (noon to 4:00 p.m.)
- City of Hamilton staff will not be at this location
The winner will be announced in late September. Construction on the park is anticipated to begin in spring 2018.
Additional Resources & Information
- The Promenade Park, approved by Council as part of the Pier 7+8 Urban Design Study, is an integral feature in the City of Hamilton’s bold vision for an accessible, inclusive, diverse and mixed-use waterfront district.
- Design competition costs, including design team stipends and jury costs, will be covered through an $185,000 donation from the Patrick J. McNally Charitable Foundation, as part of the foundation’s pilot project to enhance and improve public spaces in Hamilton