The David Braley and Nancy Gordon Rock Garden at the Royal Botanical Gardens, Janet Rosenberg & Studio Inc.
Category: Large-Scale Public Landscapes Designed by a Landscape Architect (over 5 ha)
The CSLA Awards of Excellence celebrate work that is inspiring, exhilarating, and remarkably diverse. The Awards of Excellence honour distinctive design, ground-breaking research, sustainable landscape management and much more. Our CSLA landscape architects revitalize derelict inner-city shorelines and fashion pedestrian-friendly streetscapes. They build avant-garde residential gardens and turn brownfields into sustainable parks. They shape our urban landscapes, spearheading city-wide planning and design. Each year, jurors select exceptional projects across many areas of expertise.
These award-winning projects are preeminent examples of Canadian landscape architecture. They illustrate the range of what landscape architects do and how landscape architects are helping to reshape our communities - defining the places we want to live, work and play. According to the 2017 Awards of Excellence jury:
World-class roadsides and residences, ambitious plans for waterfronts and community greening and poetic places - the award recipients created world class places that bring people back into the landscape.
Winners were selected by a national jury of landscape architects. The principal criteria applied by the jurors were:
- Demonstration of a deep understanding of the craft of landscape architecture and attention to composition and detail
- Demonstration of excellence in leadership, project management, breadth of work, new directions or new technology
- Innovation in concept, process, materials or implementation
- Promotion of the discipline amongst related professions, clients and the general public
- Demonstration of exemplary environmental and / or social awareness
National Awards are for work that demonstrates excellence against all judging criteria. They become nominees for the Jury’s Award of Excellence, given to a project which best demonstrates the CSLA’s vision (advancing the art, science and practice of landscape architecture).
Congratulations to the RBG on the award!